Thursday, October 2, 2008

Surgery starting

So, around 2:30pm, my pager starts vibrating off the chair...I go running up to 3rd floor (we are on the 1st floor). When I walk up to the information desk, Dr. Friedman is standing there. I can't tell you what was or wasn't running through my mind. My heart was pounding.


I said "hey...have you started on Harold yet?" Dr. Friedman says "no, I'm standing here." DUH!

The first surgery took a long time and he had just finished. So, they are going to start cleaning the operationg room and hopefully start around 3:30pm. Harold is the last patient for him, so he can take his time. I said "ok...go rest and get my baby back to me". He just smiled. Dr. Friedman's nurse told us that if it takes longer than 3 hours, not to panic. Dr. Friedman is a perfectionist and he will take as long as he feels. No problem... just do it right. But in the mean time, I'll be pacing the 1st floor of Duke Hospital.

But, Harold had me paged again at 3:30pm. I went flying back up there and they took me to Harold. Thank goodness! It was good to see him. I hadn't seen or talked to him since 11am this morning. I got to hang out with him in the pre-op holding room and talked with the anesthesiologist for a second. They were way cool. I stayed there until they physically took him out of the holding room. I wanted to be sure there weren't any more false alarms! Then at 4:30 pm, the pager starts going off again. But, I'm too tired to run up there again. So, I called the info desk and they told me they had Harold prepped and were truly starting. They have the operating room booked for 3 hours. So, "hopefully" they will be finished by 7:30 or 8pm tonight. I will definitely post again with the doctors news before going to bed.

Thanks again for everyone's prayers! Love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. Hey,I have been reading your blogs all day. Whew! what a day of waiting. Hang in there. Watch for some flowers from the Giants tomorrow. Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete